With the winter formal coming up, I thought the guys on campus could use some pointers on how to ask a friend to a dance. After talking to a lot of people, mostly women, I’ve compiled a list of the worst ways to ask a girl to a dance. Guys, here are some things that are just not going to work:
1. Using technology. The worst way to ask her is via Facebook. I have yet to find a girl who would say yes. Also, don’t use texting, email, or a phone call. A handwritten note can work if done in a cute way, but the best way is to just ask her face to face – that means no friends asking for you, either.
2. Informing her that you already asked other girls and they said no. This will make her feel like she was second or third class. She also might feel guilty, which is another no-no! Along the same lines, avoid asking, “If no one else asks will you go with me?” This degrades you, the man. What you’re really saying is, “I know I’m not good enough for you, but if all else fails, will you go with me?” No girl wants to go with a man who seems to lack self-confidence.
3. Asking the girl in public, especially if you are not 100 percent sure she’ll say yes. This is also a good defense for the guy; you don’t want to get embarrassed in front of a lot of people if she rejects you.
4. So, now I’ll give you some other smaller things that people say we shouldn’t do, some important things and some common sense ones.
5. Answering a phone call or text while asking her.
6. Jumping up and down or dancing with excitement if she says yes.
7. Asking her on a day you haven’t showered.
8. Using red roses. Flowers can be okay, but roses are used too closely associated with love. This is just a dance. Save the roses for the marriage proposal.
9. Bribing her. Gifts can be okay, but don’t try to buy your potential date over.
10. Asking at the spur of the moment. We guys should have a plan. At least think it over, and rehearse it if you need to.
11. Begging. If she says no, then the answer is no – don’t keep asking her.
12. Stalking – in real life or on Facebook. It definitely tips the creepy scale!
13. Make sure you don’t salivate while asking her, and look at her eyes.
So, have some confidence and do your thing. Don’t panic, and be yourself. And don’t worry if she says no because you go to Corban, and there are way more girls than boys!